Although February is the shortest month of the year, there are still many fun holidays and observances that you can use to plan interesting activities for your residents, plus this year is a LEAP YEAR, which we don’t get to celebrate too often, so we’re excited to share these ideas from our friends at notjustbingo.com with you!
Once you’re done, head to our Holiday Activities get more ideas on upcoming holidays!
Groundhog Day (February 2)
- Set up a pre-breakfast party for your residents that includes doughnuts and coffee in front of the television as you await to hear whether Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow
- Make squirrel treats for your neighborhood squirrels, using pine cones, seeds, and peanut butter
- Host a spelling bee featuring hard-to-spell American cities
- Create your own Punxsutawney Phil scenes with markers, colored pencils, and construction paper. Have crafters make predictions on what our friend Phil will see!
Chinese New Year (1st day of the Chinese Lunar Calendar)
- Organize a Chinese checkers tournament for residents
- Make your own Chinese paper lanterns
- Host a Chinese Take-Out Happy Hour
Valentine’s Day (February 14)
- Plan a fun chocolate tasting, in which residents sample a variety of different chocolate candies
- Hire an entertainer to perform for a special Valentine’s Day Ball, in which residents dress up for the event
- Provide stationery for residents to make their own Valentine’s Day cards
Presidents Day (3rd Monday)
- Make pretzel rod and Nutella log cabins
- Play a fun trivia game to test your knowledge and learn fun facts about the American presidents, like Professor Noggin’s Presidents of the US Card Game or Brain Box Game: US Presidents
- Host an election in your facility to elect a Resident Representative
- Host a Presidential “Race”. Purchase a few of these Presidents of the U.S. Puzzles and have participants team up to put the pieces together the fastest.
Leap Year Day (February 29)
- Make origami frogs, then see who’s can leap the furthest
- Engage in a discussion about popular superstitions
- Create a Leap Year time capsule, in which residents or students submit objects to be housed in the time capsule until the next Leap Year in four years
notjustbingo.com is an online resource of fun, senior activity ideas for activity professionals of nursing homes and assisted living facilities. They have been providing fun activity ideas online since 2009, and we continue to assist activity professionals across the country by creating meaningful and engaging activity ideas for their residents that go “beyond bingo.” Don’t get them wrong – bingo is fun, but we want to spread the word that there is more to life than just bingo. Overall, notjustbingo.com feels privilege to help activity directors better the living experiences of their residents while demonstrating that a senior’s quality of life can actually improve when they move to a nursing facility.