This year’s VBS themes offer a lot of choices, from sports activities to time machines, there is something for every faith as well as different length programs. No matter what theme you choose, children can discover their faith with these inspirational and engaging themes. Learning has never been more fun with so many creative ways to play, craft, and decorate.
Leave us a reply and let us know what theme you are planning for this 2018 VBS Season. Here are a few ideas to get you thinking about your VBS program.
VBS Theme: Game On!
LifeWay’s 2018 VBS invites your kids to grab their megaphones, lace up their cleats, and tune up their instruments. As they fill up the offensive line, sideline, and drumline, your players, cheerleaders, and band members will realize God has given them His ultimate playbook. He wants them to join His team, train hard, celebrate salvation, and encourage one another. Gear Up! Get Ready! Game On!
- Flying Disk Craft Kit – kids can design their own message with the included markers, then use the disk in a variety of different sports and games.
- Foam Hands – a staple at most sporting events! These are great for decorating and letting kids know Jesus is number 1 at your event.
- Color-Me™ Megaphones – your kids can get in the team spirit by coming up with a design that shows how much Jesus loves and cares about them.
- Sports Wreath Craft Kit – no matter what sport they love, this craft wreath allows kids to get creative. Use a permanent marker to write messages on the flags, such as “Jesus gives me joy”
- Sports Super Balls – a great reward to show you group how super they are.
VBS Theme: Time Lab
Imagine the thrill of traveling back in time…you could meet heroes of faith like Abraham, Moses and Gideon. You could visit ancient Greece and Rome and the first Christians. You could meet the most important person who ever lived! Answers in Genesis’ 2018 Time Lab VBS theme takes you to discover Jesus from eternity past to eternity future.
- Color-Me™ Boxes – decorate and use for a time capsule (the boxes fit in gallon sized bags for a more traditional time capsule). Kids can also write down their thoughts and feelings and store them in the box, then see how they changed after a week of camp. Learn how to create Prayer or Gratitude Boxes here.
- Foam Crowns – this kit includes adjustable 12 foam crowns, gold glitter glue pens, glue, assorted plastic gems, and feathers. The crosses on the top make this a perfect VBS Craft for Answer’s Time Lab.
- Wooden Cross Pendants – can be used for a variety of activities! The crosses have a pre-drilled hole to easily turn them into a necklace, keychain, bookmark or ornament. Use paint, markers, beads, glitter, and other craft supplies to decorate.
- Rainbow & Clouds Mobile – this no-glue kit includes foam rainbow strips, sticky cloud shapes, sticky-back raindrop circles, string and instructions.
- Time Tracker – a fun gadget that ties nicely into the Time Lab VBS theme! Keep sessions on track or use for races or other fun timed activities. Features 180° viewing, green, yellow, and red light-up sections, and 6 sound effects.
Incorporate the 2018 VBS Theme called Peace Lab with this Imagine Peace Collaborative Velvet Craft Kit. Kids can work together on the craft activity, and discuss how to resolve conflicts, help others, and discover God’s way of peace.
VBS Theme: Shipwrecked
Shipwrecked Group’s 2018 VBS theme ventures onto an uncharted island where kids survive and thrive. Anchor kids in the truth that Jesus carries them through life’s storms. You can even incorporate a tropical island or even lost treasure vibe.This is a very popular theme that many groups were very excited about! Below are some of our favorite craft and decoration ideas.
- Sand Art Bottles – fill the plastic bottles with sand, then add messages to put in the bottle to go along with the Shipwrecked theme. Kids can write down prayers or Bible verses that relate to the theme.
- Flexible Wood Lizards – one of the main characters in this theme is a lizard named Guac. His message is, “When you do wrong; Jesus rescues.” Kids can color their own lizard with markers or paint.
- Pirate Ship Craft Kit – what’s a shipwreck without a ship? Have your group assemble and decorate a wood pirate ship, then create their own message of faith on the sails.
- Inflatable Palm Tree Cooler – great for decorating, keeping snacks in, and can be used for any toss game.
- Fish Netting – used this decoration to set the scene for your Shipwrecked theme. It can also be used for a variety of toss games.
- Team Bucket Challenge – teach campers to work with Jesus and others. This game is a great teamwork challenge for kids, and perfect for a fun summer water activity.
VBS Themes: Rolling River & Splash Canyon
Cokesbury’s Rolling River Rampage and Concordia’s Splash Canyon promise a ride of a lifetime. Whether along the river, or deep in the canyon, these two adventurous themes are sure to help your kids discover Gods promise of a full and wonderful life with him at their side. These VBS themes inspire so many cute craft and decorating ideas. Grab your lifejacket and paddle and get ready to make a splash!
- River Rocks – decorate each rock with adventure, rest, acceptance, peace and joy. You can also get your kids involved in the kindness rock movement.
- Camp Journal – this craft kit includes the journal, markers, glitter glue and instructions. Your group can personalize the blank camp sign to fit any theme.
- Paddle Boat Craft Kit – assemble and decorate the boat, then use for a racing or distance contest! Grab an inflatable blow up pool and this craft will bring your VBS theme to life.
- Blue and Silver Fringe Curtains – these make a great combination to create rivers and canyon pools.
- Slip & Slide Wave Rider – a great themed way at VBS to cool off and have a wild ride! For even more fun, put these side by side for awesome racing fun.