- Arts and Crafts Kits
- Arts and Crafts Supplies
- Christian Activities
- Clearance Bargains
- Ed Supplies & Early Childhood
- Field Day
- Great New Products
- Health & Safety Solutions
- Office, Breakroom & Cleaning Supplies
- Overstock Discounts
- Party and Novelty
- S&S Easy Packs
- Sports, PE & Recreation
- Therapy and Rehab
- Youth Character Development
P.E. Central Lesson Plan: Volleyball Work It Out
Purpose of Activity:To practice volleyball skill-related activities while working on cardiovascular and muscular endurance.
Suggested Grade Level:9-12
Materials Needed:One volleyball (or foam ball works as well) per student; indoor facility with walls
Lesson Plan:Description of Idea
Divide the class into four groups and designate a home base area for each in the four corners of the activity area. The activities are performed in the home base area or as otherwise stated. Groups perform the following activities together. All members move together for the activities. Remember to have students place the balls back in the cart or hula hoop when not in use. (The beginning letters of this activity spell WORK IT OUT)
1. Warm up for 3-5 minutes with slow jogging around the playing area.
2. Organize your students into a formation that is condusive to performing appropriate static stretches for legs, arms, lower back, shoulders and chest muscles.
3. Run to the back boundary line of the court nearest to your corner and jog to net and spike or block. Jog backwards to boundary line. Repeat 10 times.
4. Kneel facing you partner 5 feet apart. Set the ball to your partner, then drop down and perform a modified push-up. Return to starting position. Partner repeats the activity. Perform as many as you can in 1 minute.
5. In each corner, toss the ball to the wall and forearm pass (bump) the ball 5 times in a row. (Ball may bounce if needed)
6. Try to forearm pass the ball back and forth to each other without the ball touching the floor while spelling the word--VOLLEYBALL. Each time it hits your partner give yourself the correct letter.
7. On your back with knees bent, perform curl-ups with a partner in your group and pass the volleyball each time you curl-up. Continue for 1 minute. (Overhead set may be used as well)
8. Underhand or overhand serve to the wall for one minute.
9. To finish up, take a jog around the gym for 1 minute. Check your heart rate by taking a 6 second pulse check and add a 0 or multiply the number by 10. Did you reach your target heart rate zone? Perform static stretches as a group using proper form until all groups are finished.
Author:Jennifer Reeves who teaches at Esperero Canyon Middle School in Tucson, AZ. Posted on PEC: 8/29/2001.
This lesson plan was provided courtesy of P.E. Central (www.pecentral.org).
Products for This Lesson: