We are in love with this paint swirl activity using plastic ornaments! One of our customers shared this quick and easy activity that can be adjusted for any season or theme, and personalized with your choice of colors. Have fun with different types of paint, like metallic, regular acrylic, and even add glitter.
This ornament activity is great because there are only a few items needed. You can do this project in a few simple steps.
How to Make DIY Paint Swirl Ornaments
1. Choose the paint colors you’d like to use. We chose 2-4 colors for each ornament, but feel free to use as many as you’d like. Tip: It is helpful to put each color into a paint cup.
2. Add a few drops water to each of the paint colors to thin out the paint and make it easier to swirl. Mix together with a paintbrush. Be sure not to add too much water – if the paint is too watery it will not stick to the ornament.
3. Pour the first color through the opening at the top of the ornament. Then pour the second color. Repeat for each color. If you have extra paint leftover inside the ornament, pour it out.
4. Swirl the paint around by rotating the ornament. Make sure the whole inside is coated with paint.
5. Place the ornament upside down with the top off so that it can dry. Place the top back on after it dries and add some silver cord to hang it up!
This year we made lots of items for a holiday bazaar that we are holding. The residents are making the ornaments as well as pocket hand warmers, soaps and candles. We will be selling the items at our annual Thanksgiving event in November, and all of the proceeds will be donated to the Alzheimer’s Association.
About the Author
I am the Director of Resident Engagement at Silverado Orchard Park, I have been here for 6 months now. Before that I was in a different retirement community. I am extremely happy to be at Silverado. It is all about normalization and freedom for the residents. One of our residents favorite things to do is make things for the local community that we will donate.